Call us 0208 004 7734

Find Information for landlords and tenants on short term lets

If you rent a property or room, your landlord has legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety. Landlords’ duties apply to a wide range of accommodation including:

  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways
  • residential premises.
    Landlords have specific duties for gas safety and these include having gas pipework, appliances and

    chimneys/flues in the property checked for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer.


    Even if a property is only rented for a short time, there are three specific duties for landlords to keep their tenants safe.

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced every 12 months unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Landlords will need to be able to show, if asked, that regular maintenance of the flues and appliances and any necessary repairs have been undertaken.
  • Gas safety checks: A 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue in your rental property, even if you only rent out one or two rooms in your home. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use and must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Record: a record of the gas safety check must be provided to tenants within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. If a property or room is hired out for less than 28 days at a time, it is also permissible to display a copy of the current Landlords Gas Safety Record in a prominent position within the property so a copy does not need to be given to every new occupier. Landlords must keep copies of the record for two years.

    Gas Safety Record

    If you do not have a copy of the current record for your property, you are entitled to ask your landlord for a copy. If your landlord refuses, you can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) using this form:

    Further Guidance

    For further information on what a gas safety check involves visit: For additional guidance on landlords responsibilities visit:


Share this Post


Leave a Reply